Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thoughts from Amy Carmichael

Ever since I read the following quote this past Januray, I have had it pinned to my bulletin board as a daily reminder of the Lord's high calling upon my life.

"We must look upon the world, with all its delights and all its attractions, with suspicion and reserve. We are called to a higher kingdom, we are touched with a Diviner Spirit.

It is not that He forbids us this or that comfort or indulgence; it is not that He is stern, demanding us to follow a narrow path.

But we who love the Lord and whose affectsion are set on heavenly things voluntarily and gladly lay aside the things that charm and ravish the world, that, for our part, our hearts may be ravished with the things of heaven, that our whole being may be poured forth in constant and unreserved devotion in the service of the Lord who died to save us."
~ Amy Carmichael

I love that phrase about voluntarily and gladly laying aside the things that charm the world. How are we doing with this idea, my friends? The world is all around us beckoning from every direction, seeking to ensnare us with its glitter and empty promises and pleasures of sin for a season.

Oh, how much better to be ravished with the Person of our Lord who quietly calls to us from the pages of His Word! In Him alone is true beauty found. In Him alone are exceeding great and precious promises. In His presence is fulness of joy and pleasure.

I invite you to join me as I seek to walk the pathway He has laid before me - the one that leads to a higher Kingdom. The one that means turning a blind eye to the charms of the world. The one that means being poured forth constantly in whole-hearted devotion to my Lord.

A quest for God's best is not without sacrifice and hardship. But the destination is worth it, yes?

~ Katrina

No comments: